There are few arenas as competitive and complex as professional sports marketing. In this episode, Melissa Proctor, CMO of the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks and State Farm Arena, shares how she continues to achieve by showing up for herself and her teams. With more than 15 years of proven brand strategy expertise, Melissa has found myriad ways to engage and delight the Hawks’ devoted fanbase, while reinforcing the organization’s deep connection to the city it calls home. Tune in to learn how she continues to build unforgettable experiences for fans, the city’s communities, and her employees.
Tune in to learn:
- What skills and attitudes aspiring marketers need for success (9:49)
- About building a larger community for the Atlanta Hawks (21:05)
- How the Hawks are honoring MLK’s legacy (29:47)
- Why personalizing the customer experience is vital (36:51)
- Steve Koonin, CEO of Atlanta Hawks
- “From Ball Girl to CMO” – Melissa Proctor’s book
- Deloitte’s “A winning strategy for the future of sports streaming” by Pete Giorgio, Jana Arbanas, David Jarvis, and Brooke Auxier
- Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks Guard
- Project Future Fan Study
- “Pro Sports Leagues Are Chasing Gen Z Where It Plays” by Joe Drape and Ken Belson
- Kim Rometo, CIO of Atlanta Hawks
- “Creativity Meets Strategy: The Atlanta Hawks’ CMO Reveals Her Executive Superpowers” by Alysse Soll – Melissa’s interview with WIST
About the Guest:
LinkedIn BIO: “Executive creative and strategic business leader with 15+ years of business & brand strategy, innovation, digital, content, design/creative and consumer marketing experience for entertainment, media & sports brands.
Adept in effectively leading teams while developing a positive work-culture that increases morale, creativity and business results. Accomplished in successfully defining new and sometimes ambiguous roles within organizations, building teams and effectively communicating to all stakeholders.
Specialties: Branding & Identity, Business Strategy, Innovation, Creative Development, Consumer Insights, Design (Illustrator, Photoshop), Team facilitation, Executive Communications (presentations & speech writing), International Experience
Best-selling author of ‘From Ball Girl to CMO’”
Marketing Trends is brought to you by Salesforce Marketing Cloud. For more great marketing insights, sign up for The Marketing Moments newsletter. You’ll get ideas to help you build better customer relationships, invites to upcoming events, and access to the latest industry research. Subscribe at https://sforce.co/MarketingMoments