From Apple’s first mouse to Palm’s first Personal Digital Assistant, IDEO has helped design some of the world’s most famous and important products. Across the world, and especially in Silicon Valley, they have been looked to as the gold standard for innovation and creativity. So what can marketers learn from this unique organization?
To find out, we interviewed Whitney Mortimer, CMO and Partner at IDEO.
On this episode, Whitney talks about design thinking and how it can transform your marketing, the power of constraints, and how to measure and manage creativity.
Full Landing Page: http://bit.ly/2YhOshF
Whitney’s LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/whitney-mortimer-594ba55/
5 Key Takeaways
– Design thinking is a strategy that starts with a blank slate and designs around a users needs and experience. It can (and does) lead to explosive growth.
– Creativity can be measured, managed, and taught. Doing so leads to growth, agility, and resilience.
– “It’s your job as a leader to stay inspired and to share that inspiration with others.”
– For marketers to be successful, they need to be involved in conversations about the company’s deepest aspirations so that they can translate that vision into a narrative.
– In an era of increasing automation, employees have a need to self-actualize through creativity.
Whitney Mortimer is the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) and a Partner at IDEO, a global design company that creates positive impact through design. Previously, she served as the SVP Marketing and New Business Development at Supercuts. Prior to Supercuts, she held various positions in brand management and strategy with E & J Gallo Winery, Frito-Lay, and American Express International Bank.
Whitney is passionate about bringing design-led innovation to environmental conservation, social justice and the empowerment of women. In addition to being the CMO of IDEO she also serves on the board. Whitney is also a member of the Advisory Board for the Institute at the Golden Gate, part of the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy. For three consecutive years from 2015 to 2017, Whitney was honored as one of the San Francisco Business Times’ Most Influential Women in Bay Area Business.
Marketing Trends is brought to you by our friends at Salesforce Pardot, B2B marketing automation on the world’s #1 CRM. Are you ready to take your B2B marketing to new heights? With Pardot, marketers can find and nurture leads, close more deals, and maximize ROI. Learn more by heading to www.pardot.com/podcast.
To learn more or subscribe to our weekly newsletter, visit MarketingTrends.com.